Edward M. Kennedy Community Health Center, Inc. Community Outreach Worker - Service Opportunity through AmeriCorps in Worcester, Massachusetts
Link on the AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do;jsessionid=MWf9YzlmBeHgAQqLOelfrC1Ittu-jyU31h0d73ISLBwSoGlK5mZG!118430138?fromSearch=true&id=113341
Two Community Outreach Workers (COWs) will help vulnerable populations flourish through educational and healthcare attainment by acting as a liaison between Kennedy CHC and the public school districts which house its school-based health centers (SBHCs). The SBHCs provide high-quality medical, dental and behavioral health where children spend most of their time, keeping kids in school and their families at work. The community outreach worker model has been used to increase access to health care, to improve health outcomes, and to close gaps related to health equity. Expanding the scope of the conventional model, the two COWs will also help refugee, immigrant and other new arrivals to the cities navigate the complex educational enrollment system. The COW will rotate across the schools, Health Center sites, as well as the Parent Information Centers (PICs) in each of the districts. Through this work, these individuals will provide linkages to care for students and families enrolled in the schools where the Health Center operates a SBHC, increase visibility and enrollment of the SBHCs by attending school events, promote services offered at Kennedy CHC such as our expanded transgender healthcare, and empower youth voices through the development of a Youth Advisory Committee. The COWs work will increase the resiliency of low resourced families by ensuring access to both education and healthcare.
• Increase enrollment and utilization of SBHCs through increased visibility at school and community events
• Assist refugee, immigrant and other new arrivals to the cities navigate the complex educational and medical system through collaboration with Worcester and Framingham’s PICs and Kennedy’s refugee clinics.
• In collaboration with medical enrollment specialists, assist families with insurance enrollment.
• Provide opportunities for youth empowerment through the development and management of youth programs
• Serve as points of contact for community partners and other service system providers
• Create and maintain calendar of school and Kennedy CHC events to share with SBHC staff and community partners
• Develop programs to address health issues among the student body, inclusive of classroom-based health education
Program Benefits : Living Allowance, Health Coverage, Education award upon successful completion of service, Training.
Powered by JazzHR