Lahey Health Patient Scheduler in Winchester, Massachusetts
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by welcoming and scheduling patients in an efficient and empathetic manner. This administrative/customer service staff position may be the first voice of the organization when a patient schedules and can have a dramatic impact on making individuals feel welcomed and ease their anxiety by starting their hospital visit professionally. In addition this position impacts patient safety and clinical care by ensuring the patient identifiers are correct and on reimbursement by collecting accurate insurance information and co-pays.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· Some clerical experience or experience in a healthcare setting.
· 1 year of completed college may be considered in lieu of relevant experience.
· 1 year of admitting or billing preferred.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Strong customer service/relations skills
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS: N/A
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: Schedule and hours may vary based on department needs
Travel Requirements: May be asked to work at various locations.
· Reports to Central Registration Supervisor
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Central Scheduling team, this position:
· Schedules patients for outpatient visits and surgical procedures timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic. Answers the phone in the same manner. Adheres to scheduling policies and procedures.
· Obtains pre-certification and authorizations when needed for outpatient and surgical procedures. Notifies insurance companies of patient status changes when received from case management.
· Pre-registers patients for outpatient visits and surgical procedures. Contacts patients and physician offices for demographic and insurance information.
· Interviews patients or designees to accurately and comprehensively collect patient demographic and insurance information and enters into the hospital’s informational system. For existing patients, verifies patient identifier to ensure the correct medical record is retrieved.
· Researches patient insurance plan using Web software and verifies insurance eligibility
· Collects co-payments when appropriate and required.
· Coordinates schedules with clinical areas. Processes add-on cases as needed to meet patient clinical needs.
· Ensures accurate payor pre-certification and authorizations.
· Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the Hospital.
· Explains Health Care Proxy information, answering questions and assisting patients in completing the forms if necessary.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
- Lahey Health Jobs