National Grid Solutions Development Manager, IS Projects in Waltham, Massachusetts
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to lead a team within our Solutions Development Engineering Systems area. This leader will be responsible for leading an organization of Business Analysts, Solution Architects, Quality Engineers, and Software & System Engineers to implement application/platform solutions through the Systems Development Life Cycle. This role will report to the Director of Solutions Development within the National Grid IT organization.
• Define and implement development standards for the platform including code, configuration management, integration, security compliance and user experience.
• Own the Deployment Plan for the platform ensuring all developments and deployments are planned and executed in a controlled way.
• Define & Implement Test Plans, Quality Metrics, and Entrance & Exit Criteria.
• Identifies, compares and recommends technical options provided by the platform.
• Work with Commercial, EA, Security, Infrastructure & Operations and Strategy & Innovation to ensure holistic solution meets IT strategy and standards.
• Manages a team of BAs, SAs, QA Engineers, and Software & System Engineers to implement application/platform solutions through the SDLC - requirements, design, testing, deployment, & post go-live support.
• Manages Business Requirements/User Stories, non-functional requirements, Functional Design, System Test Plans, & Deployment Plans
• Reviews code (for in-house development) to ensure it adheres to best practices & coding policies.
• Responsible for creating and tracking WBS schedule for Solution Development tasks.
• High level conceptual design with internal resources (SA’s).
• Detailed design compliant with National Grid and Development standards and policies (using both internal and partner resource). Works with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure architecture aligns with business objectives & IT Strategy.
• Development and configuration management (planning, quality control, issue management and code management).
• Defect Management (for developed items only) throughout test, deployment and post go live support.
• Accountable for Unit Testing, System Testing, Integration Testing, & Performance Testing.
• Ensure security deliverables are executed (scans and pen testing etc.).
• Manage any partner resources engaged to carry out development work.
• Provide status updates, risks, issues, costs through to the National Grid project manager in the Business Partner team.
• Responsible for appropriate resourcing strategy and planning for the development teams.
• Hire and manage technical resources aligned with resourcing strategy.
• Performance Management, Objective Setting, Career Development, & coaching for all internal staff.
• Establish and maintain relationship with Application Development Application Maintenance (ADAM) partners where internal skills are not available (aligned with resource strategy)
Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field; Master's Degree preferred
At least 5 year of experience working in the technology industry with at least 1 year in leadership role.
Experience leading IT teams as part of a mid-large sized business-critical technology program
Familiarity with IT Engineering systems used within the utility industry.
Experience delivering solutions using Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
Ability to lead technology teams in different locations in US
Demonstrated negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
Demonstrated oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
At least 5 year of experience working in the technology industry with at least 1 year in leadership role.Experience leading IT teams as part of a mid-large sized business-critical technology programFamiliarity with IT Engineering systems used within the utility industry.Experience delivering solutions using Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environmentAbility to lead technology teams in different locations in USDemonstrated negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skillsDemonstrated oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team