Eversource Energy Field Engineer, Substation Operations in Waltham, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Field Engineer Gr. 3
Field Engineering, Electric Substation Operations
Monday – Friday
7AM – 3:30PM
Starting Rate of Pay: $44.87 per/hour
**Union Represented Position**
The title Field Engineer designates employees whose responsibilities and duties require professional knowledge and aptitude for creative thinking in some specific field of engineering, such as electrical, electronic, mechanical, chemical, civil, heating and ventilation, or structural and whose activities are in connection with engineering construction, operation or maintenance assignments, or other technical work of the Company.
Field Engineers must effectively conduct their work activities with regard to the work of others such as: engineers or others working on the same projects; personnel of other departments; representatives of consulting engineering firms, municipalities, other utilities, manufacturers, customers, contractors; and contractors’ employees engaged in related activities.
It will be essential for Field Engineers engaged in certain activities involving other departments to acquire familiarity with any applicable rules and procedures established by those departments such as “Permit” procedures, Tagging procedures, Safety Rules and procedures, System Operating Department routines, etc.
Field Engineers are responsible for the safe, efficient, and productive performance of the work.
Field Engineers must ensure that all proper tools, equipment, and material are specified for job assignments.
This position is predominantly field work in Electrical Substations and Electrical Network Vaults. This position leads and performs preventative and corrective electrical maintenance and testing. This position also provides technical support for Operator Mechanics performing electrical maintenance and substation construction. Candidates are expected to be self learners and to investigate problems and work with equipment manufacturers to resolve issues and make repairs. Training is provided for safety and electrical fundamentals but an aptitude for research and for repairing electrical controls and associated equipment is beneficial.
Typical Field Engineering duties include:
- Prepares comprehensive engineering reports and correspondence, of a complex nature, including conclusion, recommendations, and cost studies.
- Represents the Department and the Company in contacts with other departments, customer, other utilities, and Municipal, State, or other governmental agencies, in connection with the work of this grade, as directed.
- Performs the work of Engineers of lower rating and Power System Technicians.
- Assists Operating Mechanics during testing and maintenance substation of equipment.
- Installs and repairs Digital Grid equipment for Electrical Network Protector monitoring.
- Installs, troubleshoots & programs transformer load tap changer (LTC) controls.
- May standby with contractors conducting walk through inspections for bidding.
- Performs Power Factor and SFRA testing of transformers.
- Performs infrared surveys of substations and network vaults.
- May perform infrared surveys of distribution circuits for trouble when requested by Maintenance and Construction.
- Perform engineering design for like for like replacement of substation equipment.
- Performs relay installation, programming, testing and repair for transmission protection relays.
- Performs RTU installation, programming, testing and repair.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
1. Engineering education as evidenced by a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE), Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical and Computer Science (BSECE) or a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Technology (BSET).
2. Must possess personality traits such as alertness, self-reliance, poise, tact and the ability to maintain harmonious relations with their associates.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs