Baystate Health Russian Per Diem Medical Interpreter in Springfield, Massachusetts
Provides oral interpretation and limited written translation between limited English proficient (LEP) patients and their family and English-speaking providers and other members of the patient care team. Will provide minimal clerical assistance to the department as necessary. Must have proven verbal and written fluency in English and a second language. Must possess excellent customer service skills, be able to work independently, be able to multitask, and be a self-starter. Will follow the national standards of practice and ethics as defined by the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care. National certification as a medical/health care interpreter required. Adheres to federal and state laws regarding medical interpreting as well as system and department policies. Is courteous and helpful in all interactions with patients, visitors, and coworkers. Observes and promotes BH organizational standards of behavior. Adheres to all system and departmental compliance policies and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Required to perform other duties as assigned. Management has the right to add, remove, and/or change responsibilities at any time.
1) Provides fluid consecutive and simultaneous verbal interpretation to assist patients, families, and providers. Follows national standards of Accuracy, Confidentiality, Impartiality, Respect, Cultural Awareness, Role Boundaries, Professionalism, Professional Development, and Advocacy.
2) Spot/Sight translates only brief passages of up to 3 paragraphs. Forwards frequently used documents/instructions to Interpreter & Translation Services for translation.
3) Documents interpreting encounters in electronic medical record and other systems as required by department during or at the end of each shift with at least 90% accuracy.
4) Functions as team member both within the health system as well as with Interpreter and Translation Services. Informs departmental office staff of his/her availability between encounters and returns to office if possible or if requested. Logs in to automated call distribution telephone line when in main office. Responds as appropriate to requests for assistance by other interpreters. Responds to pages by anyone within 5 minutes to assess need. Accurately documents appointment requests by phone onto paper forms or other means required. Checks BH e-mail daily or at a minimum each time s/he works. Assists with clerical duties as needed or assigned.
5) Attends at least 9 monthly Interpreter & Translation Services staff meetings each year.
6) Researches medical terminology using multiple resources to enhance vocabulary and clarify any clinical uncertainties
7) Efficiently verifies interpreter requests/schedules in Centricity software. Books contract interpreter appointments on contractors' websites or other means as necessary. Responds appropriately to complex calls from internal and external clients regarding interpreter schedules and departmental policy and state and federal laws.
8) Capable of working alone or with minimal assistance during any shift. For Spanish interpreters only: Can cover "main pager" functions during lunch for up to one hour.
Required Work Experience:
1) 1040 hours as a Medical Interpreter I at BH
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Above average written and oral fluency in English and at least one other language
2) Must be able to move swiftly throughout the hospital and outpatient locations
3) Must be able to speak clearly and understandably in English and the target language
4) Must be able to translate brief passages (no more than 3 paragraphs) from English to target language or target language to English
5) Has obtained the highest level of national certification for the individual's language pair as a healthcare/medical interpreter from either national organization providing testing, and fulfills continuing education unit (CEU) requirements to maintain it
6) If not fully certified CHI/CMI (written and oral), must take oral certification exam within six months of when it becomes available for language pair
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts: Linguistics, GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Healthcare Interpreter - Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Baystate Health Jobs