Staples Staff Attorney-Commercial in Framingham, Massachusetts
Staples is business to business . You’re what binds us together.
The Staples Legal Department is a talented team of attorneys, paralegals, and risk managers who serve as trusted advisors to our business clients. We provide strategic guidance and find practical solutions to legal problems. We are a collegial, capable, and hard-working group of professionals who touch every aspect of the company’s operations and never back down from a challenge. We negotiate contracts, defend litigation, protect the company’s intellectual property, promote legal compliance, and support the company’s environmental, social, and governance efforts. We represent the company with integrity, compassion, and a commitment to success.
What you’ll be doing :
· Review, revise, restructure, and draft standard (form) and non-standard contracts in compliance with company and department policies.
· Conduct conference call contract negotiations with Staples’ customers and vendors.
· Manage the intake process for the submission of client matters and provide substantive responses to inquiries.
· Develop strategy for negotiations, clearly and concisely explaining terms and legal risks, and presenting options for negotiations.
· Analyze and advise internal clients regarding risks and operational guidelines associated with new business initiatives and programs.
· Assist with creating and presenting training on legal issues for internal clients.
· Develop standard forms, and legal guidelines and playbooks for business units, update templates, and maintain databases of client support tools.
· Work on legal department projects or as part of cross-functional business team to advise on critical business priorities from a legal perspective.
· Comply with the Company’s contracting policies and global company policies and instruct clients to follow required processes and policies.
· Analyze and help resolve complaints, disputes, or litigation with third parties (such as customers, vendors, government agencies).
What you bring to the table:
· A solid understanding of legal terms and contract formulation principles is required. Must have the ability to comprehend and modify legal terms, including indemnity, termination, warranties, UCC provisions, and other remedies provisions.
· Ability to conduct legal research and review and understand legislation/case law, as well as understand and communicate the implications of legal requirements to in-house clients and supervising attorneys.
· Strong negotiation/communication skills, capable of working directly with third parties in both cooperative and potentially adversarial scenarios. Associate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to write in a clear and concise manner.
· Reliable, self-starter with strong interpersonal skills; ability to effectively communicate with clients, colleagues, and outside counsel.
· Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; adaptable to new situations and challenges.
What’s needed - Basic Qualifications:
· Masters – J.D. required.
· Licenses – Massachusetts Bar or Registered In-House Counsel certification; Active status in good standing is required; Professional integrity/ability to maintain confidentiality.
· 1+ years of experience in a law firm or in-house, with general exposure to or experience in commercial contracts; however, recent law school graduates with strong academic credentials but less experience may be considered.
What’s needed - Preferred Qualifications:
· Excellent judgment, ability to operate independently and knowing when to escalate issues to the supervising attorney.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; capable of identifying and prioritizing issues and providing alternative solutions.
· Strong business acumen and ability to understand and react to issues with business considerations in mind. Willing to self-educate and adapt to changing needs of internal clients’ businesses.
· Inclusive, team-oriented, and collaborative attitude.
· Strong organizational, project management, and computer skills.
· Inclusive culture with associate-led Business Resource Groups
· Flexible PTO (22 days) and Holiday Schedule
· Online and Retail Discounts, Company Match 401(k), Physical and Mental Health Wellness programs, and more!
Interested in joining the team? Check out our perks and benefits !
Staples believes Inclusion is a verb and we encourage diversity of thinking and ideas as well as backgrounds and experiences. Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Staples Jobs