Novartis Pharmaceuticals Vivarium Operations Technician in Cambridge, Massachusetts
6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
Vivarium Operations (VO), as a function of Comparative Medicine (CM), provides high quality animal care to laboratory animals enrolled in studies within 14 disease area teams within NIBR. VO is looking for the ideal candidate to fill an entry level vivarium operations technical position responsible for maintaining the health and welfare of laboratory animals and supporting research by doing daily health and checks and husbandry, organizing facility data and records, and helping with all daily facility needs. This position will closely collaborate with the CM organization and NIBR disease area teams within our multi-building, multi-discipline, multi-species research program, focusing on the zebrafish with some rodent work as well.
What you'll be doing:
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Principally responsible for daily husbandry to animals (zebrafish), clinical observations, maintenance of the animal facilities (sanitation of animal rooms & equipment), receipt of incoming animals & supplies, maintenance of relevant facility records, fulfilling research requests, animal transfers and relocations.
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with all institutional and regulatory protocols, policies, and guidelines. Maintenance of relevant facility records.
• Responsible for pursing continuous learning/professional development opportunities and enhancing/expanding skill set as time allows.
• Driven by the needs of our scientific partner/collaborator, limited routine technical procedures on animals may also be assigned.
• Other duties and responsibilities as may be required.
Vivarium Operations Technician
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Provide consistent and high quality on-site animal care and vivarium maintenance
• Effectively gain certification and proficiency on all applicable operational skills as required
• Team oriented and interactive. Supportive of peer/team development and performance
• Strong attention to completion of tasks in an efficient/consistent manner
• Continuously support Vivarium Operations Management in maintaining compliance with all internal and external regulatory agencies in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
• Continuously pursue educational and professional development opportunities to enhance and expand relevant skills and knowledge
• GED or High School degree required, 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology, 4-year Science degree, or a combination of experience with higher education preferred and strong interpersonal skills (transparency, professionalism, communication)
• Strong commitment to providing humane, consistent, and high quality daily care to research animals
• ALAT Certification desirable or pursued after starting
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Research & Development
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.