Microsoft Corporation Software Engineer in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Microsoft 365 is the world’s leading productivity service, entrusted by hundreds of millions of users worldwide. Microsoft 365 Core Platform is at the center of it all. We are the platform where the user graph for M365 is stored. Our Search stack powers the Search experience across all Microsoft 365 products. We are the platform used by product teams across Microsoft 365 to build AI/ML models, and power the intelligence features in their products.
The Microsoft 365 Scalability Team is responsible for helping teams within Microsoft deliver value to our customers, while maintaining low costs and efficiently using system resources. We are frugal penny-pinchers with a knack for finding memory, CPU, Disk IOPS and networking traffic in the virtual couch cushions. We are cyber bargain hunters who can find cost savings by looking at the microscopic level of the code and at the macroscopic level of systems and flow -- cleverly spotting what should never have been called. We are the enablers of thousands of developers writing efficient and reliable code through our DevOps code optimization infrastructure. Every day we find fun puzzles to solve and push into new terrain to make a direct impact on the bottom-line margins for the business.
As a Senior Software Engineer with a focus on Linux, you will get an amazing opportunity to demonstrate leadership at both business and technology level. You’ll be working with PMs and engineering teams (combining remote teams and local teams) at the forefront of a new project with a large scope of impact. Responsibilities will include:
• Designing and developing software that helps us measure performance and reliability of our Linux deployments.
• Providing hands-on technical leadership and mentorship: architecture, design, code reviews, development, quality assurance, observability, and live site.
• Building strong relationships with partners within Microsoft to bring innovation to new and existing products.
• Fostering a culture of inclusivity and disciplined software engineering practices to deliver business value, guided by data.
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering OR equivalent years of work experience.
• At least 3 years of experience using and writing software for Linux.
• At least 5 years of experience as a software engineer, designing, coding, and operating scalable cloud-based services.
• Experience with object-oriented programming languages such as Java, C#, or C+Preferred:
• Experience using Kubernetes containers.
• Knowledge of the Azure technology stack.
• Experience with distributed systems, performance analysis, databases, and/or large-scale data processing.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills fast.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs