SMMA Electrical Engineer in Cambridge, Massachusetts
SMMA seeks a mid to senior level Electrical Engineer to join our Electrical Engineering team to assist or lead project electrical designs through all project phases. The role will be based in our Cambridge, MA or Providence, RI office.
This position will execute specific electrical engineering tasks and priorities associated with electrical building design. The candidate will play an active role throughout the full lifecycle of a project, from concept design to final construction documents, and during construction administration.
Our Engineering team is part of an integrated, multidisciplinary firm with a dynamic mix of design expertise. We offer a fast-paced and collaborative environment that promotes professional and creative growth with exposure to various projects and client types.
· Develop electrical construction documents (e.g. power distribution, lighting, and fire alarm systems) for commercial, residential, laboratories, and institutional projects
· Perform service, voltage drop, and short circuit calculations
· Perform light level point-to-point calculations
· Coordinate designs with all disciplines
· Develop construction details
· Create and modify specifications tailored for each project
· Attend meetings with utility companies, contractors, and building department officials
· Participate in construction administration activities
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
· 5+years’ experience
· Registration as an EIT or Professional Engineer is preferred
· Experience with a variety of design software and programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, and MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
· Knowledge of applicable building and electrical codes (e.g. NFPA, NEC, IBC, IECC)
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
About the Firm
SMMA is one of New England’s most unique design firms due to our composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since our incorporation in 1955, we offer an integrated, multidisciplinary environment driven by collaboration between architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. We focus on building lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
As an employee-owned firm, we believe that good ideas are welcome from anywhere. Our work straddles seven markets— K-12, Higher Education, Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, and Advanced Technology—with the opportunity to work across a wide range of projects and specialisms. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
SMMA was founded by MIT and Rensselaer alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, we remain dedicated to this flexible, integrated approach. We are guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence, sustainability, and social responsibility.
· Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
· Hybrid work-from-home policy
· Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-funded MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
· Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
· Mentor/protégé program
· Educational reimbursement
· Licensure and membership reimbursement
· “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers
Powered by JazzHR