Astellas Pharma Director, Innovation Management Scouting in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Director, Innovation Management Scouting opportunity at their Astellas Innovation Management (AIM) Site Cambridge, MA.
The Director, Innovation Management (IM) Scouting in Cambridge, MA will have responsibility for creation of overall scouting strategy to implementation of the operational process for scouting in the US, and will be fully aware and embedded in the local innovation ecosystem. The Director leads his or her team to access various innovation across multiple therapeutic modalities, drug discovery platforms, and emerging biology from diverse external partners through various partnering schemes. The Director will also interact with multiple function heads and colleagues across the global Astellas R&D organization and will also support transaction activities to access the assets of interest, in the US.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the operation of the business development activities for early stage deals at Innovation Management (IM) Scouting in Cambridge, MA lead the team to identify and introduce new R&D projects, supervise, manage and guide the progress and quality of these projects.
- Formulate mid- and long-term strategies and development plans for IM Scouting in the US based on emerging industry trends in accordance with the broader Astellas and IM strategy.
- Utilizing specific networking in the east coast of the US, identify and introduce information on early stage opportunities and external innovative platforms and R&D projects to the Partnering Process Management (PPM) team or other business functions in order to strengthen the company's science and product portfolio.
- Manage scouting activities in the US, especially Cambridge, MA area, seamlessly liase on the partnering opportunities with the PPM team, and work with the appropriate science lead to provide scientific insights to potential partners in order to move forward to generate good deal flow.
- Communicate with Astellas research and business functions and/or their governance bodies in English and/or Japanese.
- Be responsible for resolving key scientific issues with potential partners before definitive agreement for deals in the US.
- Develop talented people suitable for exploring innovative science, evaluating opportunities, negotiating deals and alliance activities with academia, biotech's and venture capital, especially in the US.
- PhD. or MD and Minimum of fourteen (14) years' experience in drug discovery research in pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, or biotechnology companies.
- Established network in the venture capital as well as innovation community with a minimum of five (5) years' experience in the venture capital and/or external innovation arm of a pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical/biotechnology company.
- Experience in leading research planning and due diligence efforts from science and financing perspectives towards R&D partnering with, and equity investments in, potential partners.
- Experience in leading R&D partnering with industry peers and academic institutes.
- Experience in hands-on management of industry peers and academia collaborators through joint steering/research committee, and completion of incorporation of preclinical and/or clinical products from the collaboration.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to line management and multiple research teams in Japan, US, and other regions, and an ability to lead scientific evaluation and proposal activities in English and/or Japanese.
- Comprehensive IP knowledge and experience to support IP due diligence by attorneys from the scientific viewpoint in order to understand and evaluate the value and hidden risks of targeted opportunities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the venture capital community and its financial management, as well as the biotech community and ecosystem, and ability to nurture relationships with top-tier talent to identify and access very early-stage opportunities.
- Experience in IP due diligence with patent attorney or patent filing is highly preferred.
- Experience in participation in regulatory filing of early stage pipeline is highly preferred.
- Experience in pharmaceutical company is highly preferred.
- Equity investment and board observing experience in venture capitals is highly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development
- Astellas Pharma Jobs