Harvard University Assistant Director of Finance in Cambridge, Massachusetts
53847BRAuto req ID:53847BRJob Code:F0857M Financial Admin Ops Mgt III Location:USA - MA - Boston Business Title:Assistant Director of FinanceSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :057Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Additional Qualifications and Skills:Master's degree in relevant field or CRA certification is preferred.
Must have excellent written, verbal, and analytical skills
Must be well organized, versatile, able to prioritize competing tasks and requests
Demonstrated success managing multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment prone to frequent interruptions.Additional Information:We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture (https://hr.fas.harvard.edu/inclusive-culture) of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values (https://hms.harvard.edu/about-hms/campus-culture/mission-statement-community-values)
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Department:MicrobiologyPre-Employment Screening:Credit, Criminal, Education, IdentitySchedule:35 hours/week | Monday-FridayJob Function:Finance School/Unit:Harvard Medical School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Job Summary:Manage finance, accounting, and budget or other functional operations such as accounts payable or receivable, payroll, procurement, capital projects, endowment funding, or sponsored/non-sponsored research.Typical Core Duties:
Responsible for effective staff management for a group or team of employees, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
Manage business operations and administration that may include financial reporting, compliance, development of systems, and review and approval of transactions
Provide technical expertise, problem-resolution, and training
Prepare, administer, analyze, model, and forecast budgets to inform financial planning and decision making
May oversee interim and year-end fiscal and processes
Serve as the liaison within and between the School/ Unit and the University to provide comprehensive financial analysis and budget management
Ensure financial compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Work is performed in an office setting
Job-Specific Responsibilities:Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Assistant Director of Finance (ADF) serves as a senior leader within Microbiology’s Finance team. The ADF works in tandem with the Director of F&A to direct a team of grants managers that provide research administration and financial management support for Microbiology faculty while serving as a subject-matter expert for both faculty and staff. The ADF will also be responsible for financial oversight of the MicRoN Core and ensure monthly invoicing and reporting requirements are completed in a timely manner and will take part in the annual fee setting and budgeting process.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
• Directly manage two (2) grant managers (grade 55): responsible for hiring, training, performance reviews, workload management, project management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
• Ensures that high levels of customer service, research expertise, and financial guidance are consistently provided by the team to Principal Investigators and department staff
• Oversees sponsored proposal preparation for the department and act as final reviewer for the department prior to initiation of ORA review. Serves as primary local contact for resolving issues related to review criteria such as Pl eligibility, indirect cost policies, cost sharing, and identifying needed compliance approvals such as export controls, conflict of interest, human subjects research, animal subjects research
• Ensures compliance with policies set forth by many different funding agencies including NIH, DARPA, IARPA, NSF, AbbVie, and others. Partner with the Director of F&A on both internal and external audits.
• Makes certain that policies and procedures established by Microbiology, HMS, ORA and the University are consistently adhered to throughout the team’s operation
• Reviews internal processes and identifies changes or enhancements to systems applications, websites, forms, procedures, etc.
• Works with school-level offices on financial audits, tuition distribution, sub recipient monitoring, effort certification, cost transfers, and other research administration activities as needed.
• Will have the opportunity to serve on various HMS committees and represent the Microbiology finance and research administration team.
• Performs monthly, quarterly, and ad-hoc post-award reviews/reporting/reconciliations/PI dashboard reviews
• Reviews and/or prepares ADI/journal adjustments, AP adjustments, cost transfers, travel reimbursements and financial reports
• May be asked to provide life-cycle portfolio support to a small portfolio of faculty during periods of transition within the department. Responsibilities would inlude proposal preparation, transaction approvals, financial analysis and strategizing with PIs on resource/personnel allocations.
The ADF serves as a backup for the Director of Finance and Administration and for the team during peak periods and prolonged absences and will be expected to help manage interdepartmental relationships and activities.
This role will work effectively within a culture inclusive of individuals with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations, and appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals.