Amazon Web Services Software Development Manager, AWS Industrial IoT in Boston, Massachusetts
Be part of the next technological revolution!
The Internet of Things is the next big thing! IoT covers a broad range of technology domains, from smart-home devices to industrial machinery, but the unifying theme is that IoT runs outside the comfortable confines of the datacenter, at the boundary between the digital and physical worlds. Soon the majority of all digital data will come from connected devices, and customers will use that data to feed machine learning and process optimization that solves real-world problems that were previously intractable.
The AWS IoT Industrial team is building the data- and UX-intensive applications to help customers understand and make use of this data to change the world around them. From industrial process control to 3-dimensional modeling of complex systems, the IoT Industrial team is building the core technology for rich human interaction with immense, complex data sets.
The team merges diverse talents from front-end technology down to industrial controls and embedded systems, and we are looking for an innovative, talented, self-directed Software Development Manager (SDM) to lead these efforts in driving and drive new initiatives focused on the emerging IoT Industrial product suite. The successful candidate is a creative problem solver, has ability to think big about product operator experience, strong business judgment, and demonstrated experience driving cross-functional teams. We are looking for a proven ability to execute both strategically and committed to getting things done, and someone who is excited to take on new, ambiguous projects with multi-industry impact. The candidate should be customer-focused with a passion for the cloud and for the business and technology impacts that IoT represents.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
You will be attracting & developing a world-class team that welcomes, celebrates, and leverages a diverse set of backgrounds and skillsets to deliver results. Driving results through others is your primary responsibility, and doing so in a way that builds on our inclusive culture is key to our long term success.
We value work-life balance. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 5pm. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have a modest Event Management on-call rotation where you’ll participate approximately once every 2 months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice. This is incredibly important to us because a stable operational load is indicative of high service reliability for our customers.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We’re committed to the growth and development of every member of IoT. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the culture and direction of the entire IoT org and deliver site-wide initiatives that will improve the life of all of our teams.
· 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
· Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
· 8+ years experience building successful production software systems.
· 4 years management experience (including a combination of experience hiring, managing performance, and providing technical leadership.
· Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems.
· Understanding of developing software with systems-level performance constraints.
· Ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
· Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
· Familiarity with IoT technology stack.
· Experience in driving systemic operational improvements.
· 6+ years management experience (including a combination of experience hiring, managing performance, providing technical leadership etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Web Services Jobs