Marriott Senior Software Engineer – Backend Developer in Boston, Massachusetts
Job Number 24005183
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Located Remotely? Y
Position Type Management
As a member of the Application Infrastructure Delivery organization, you are part of a team responsible for accelerating the flow of work for all developers and engineers deploying systems to production. We're on a mission to empower teams with the tools they need to release technology swiftly and with confidence. In this role, you'll act as the glue connecting diverse software systems like Harness, BigPanda, ServiceNow, GitHub, and JIRA. This individual will serve as a senior technical resource responsible for managing the full software development lifecycle, from requirements analysis to deployment, ensuring high-quality, scalable, and maintainable backend solutions. This role will perform and help lead research, analysis, design, creation, and implementation of systems to meet current and future requirements. If you're enthusiastic about contributing to a resilient AWS cloud experience and thrive in a collaborative environment, join us at the forefront of innovation. Be a key player in shaping the future of technology release, working alongside like-minded individuals who share your passion for speed, confidence, and efficiency.
• Undergraduate degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field (equivalent experience)
• 7+ years experience in information technology including:
o 5+ years of software engineering experience.
o 3+ years experience building backend services in one or more languages (Node, Java, Python or Go).
o Experience working with AWS services.
o Proven experience gathering requirements from stakeholders and translating them into detailed technical specifications
o Prior experience working within an Agile environment, following methodologies such as Scrum/Kanban.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills and a capacity to collaborate seamlessly within a team environment.
• Solid knowledge of software development best practices, including code reviews, testing, and continuous integration.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot complex backend issues.
• Understanding of authentication and authorization mechanisms (e.g., SAML, OAuth or JWT).
• Implement rigorous unit and integration tests; actively participate in code reviews to maintain code quality and uphold best practices.
• Troubleshoot and debug performance issues, identifying and implementing effective solutions.
• Ability to mentor and guide junior developers.
• Curiosity and interest to explore genAI and machine learning models.
• Deep understanding constructing build and test pipelines used for continuous integration and delivery.
• Demonstrated ability to perform independently as a member of a team and through cross functional initiatives.
• Thrives in a highly collaborative, matrixed, complex, fast paced environment.
• Familiarity with containerization technologies like Docker.
• Understanding of microservices architecture.
• Knowledge and hands-on experience with testing frameworks and build pipelines.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES:
• Manage the full software development lifecycle, from requirements analysis to deployment, ensuring high-quality, scalable, and maintainable backend solutions.
• Provide technical leadership, oversight, governance and direction for services related to Marriott solution delivery
• Provide technical expertise to project team for successful project and change implementations
• Develop implementation plans, test plans, and timelines for projects and tasks
• Responsible for project inception including requirements gathering and architecting, costs and chargeback modeling, development and configuration management
• Lead the implementation and optimization of APIs within our platform, ensuring seamless communication between various 3rd party commercial and internal software systems while enabling the detection of changes through sophisticated anomaly detection algorithms.
• Drive collaboration with the platform infrastructure development team to spearhead the implementation of Kubernetes at scale, ensuring seamless orchestration and management for all applications within the organization.
• Help lead the development and enhancement of Rego policies for our Open Policy Agent (OPA) initiatives, translating organizational security and compliance requirements into effective Policy as Code implementations that align with industry best practices.
• Troubleshoot and debug issues, conducting root cause analysis when anomalies are detected, and implement solutions to enhance system performance and stability.
• Mentor and train other software engineers that are part of this growing team.
Managing Projects and Priorities
• Functions as a strategic senior technical expert within the team.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
• Champions leaders’ vision for product and service delivery.
• Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep moving forward toward achievement of goals.
• Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects.
• Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to promote completion of any projects on schedule.
• Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Reviews vendor proposals and selects appropriate vendor for services/technologies/hardware.
• Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new project plans.
• Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
• Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates the quality of operations.
California Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $209,169.00 annually.
Colorado Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $190,154.00 annually.
Hawaii Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $116,205.00 to $209,169.00 annually.
New York Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $209,169.00 annually.
Washington Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $96,038.00 to $209,169.00 annually. In addition to the annual salary, the position will be eligible to receive an annual bonus. Employees will accrue 0.04616 PTO balance for every hour worked and eligible to receive minimum of 7 holidays annually.
All locations offer coverage for medical, dental, vision, health care flexible spending account, dependent care flexible spending account, life insurance, disability insurance, accident insurance, adoption expense reimbursements, paid parental leave, educational assistance, 401(k) plan, stock purchase plan, discounts at Marriott properties, commuter benefits, employee assistance plan, and childcare discounts. Benefits are subject to terms and conditions, which may include rules regarding eligibility, enrollment, waiting period, contribution, benefit limits, election changes, benefit exclusions, and others.
Marriott HQ is committed to a hybrid work environment that enables associates to Be connected. Headquarters-based positions are considered hybrid, for candidates within a commuting distance to Bethesda, MD; candidates outside of commuting distance to Bethesda, MD will be considered for Remote positions.
The application deadline for this position is 49 days after the date of this posting, 01/08/2024.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.
- Marriott Jobs