Arup Mechanical Engineering Intern (Available June 2021) in Boston, Massachusetts
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Available June 2021)
Sep 16, 2020Post Date
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape abetter world?
During your internship at Arup, you’ll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include,but not be limited to the following:
•Design of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) services within the builtenvironment
• Heating and cooling load analyses for the purposes of system sizing
• Air side and water side calculations for designing building systems
• Report writing: writing summaries of the calculation methodologies employed
• Giving structure to your own ideas – lots of “taking a first pass” at spreadsheets, reports and analyses for discussion later rather than instruction
• Collaborating with architects andother designers in meetings and workshops to prepare and coordinate integrated building designs
• Preparing sketches, drawings and models
• Spatial coordination, including the use of 3D and Building Information modelling (BIM)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Architectural Engineering
• 3.0 GPA or higher
• Coursework in HVAC design or heat transfer and thermodynamics
• Internship experience in engineering-related firm
• Proven interest in the built-environment
• Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
•Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
• Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity.
• The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
• Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
• Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
• Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Architectural Engineering
• EIT/ FE certification
• Membership in ASHRAE or ASME
• An understanding of Revit or 3D modelling software
• Coursework in sustainability
• Energy/thermal modeling skills, Revit drafting skills
• Strong analytical skills; scripting, graphical representation and visualizations (Python / C Sharp / MathLab)
• Internship with HVAC emphasis
• Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
• Proven ability to perform in a paid work environment with intermittent supervision
• Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
• Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• Harvard University Smith Campus Center
• Northeastern ISEC + Bridge
• Olver Transit Center
• Harvard Art Museums
• Institute of Contemporary Art / Boston
• WPI Foisie Innovation Studio & Residence Hall
• UMass Amherst Isenberg School of Management
• MIT Site 4 Residential Tower
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Previous Job Searches
Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Track your opportunities.
Boston, United States
Building Services - Mechanical
Post Date:Sep 16, 2020
©Arup Careers. All rights reserved.
- Arup Jobs