YMCA of Greater Boston Food Monitor in Boston, Massachusetts
The YMCA of Greater Boston is dedicated to improving the health of mind, body and spirit of individuals and families. We are committed to improving the food security outcomes of our community through equal access to healthy foods and nutrition education initiatives. The YMCA is a year-round food sponsor of a federally funded program that provides meals for youth at 80+ sites throughout the city. We sponsor meal sites at YMCA camps and partner locations such as libraries, farmer’s markets, and community centers. We have an overall strategic goal of providing one million meals by the end of the calendar year 2020. To assist in meeting our mission and goals, the YMCA is seeking a 2020 Food Field Monitor to join our team, reporting directly to the Nutrition Programs Coordinator. This is a full-time seasonal position with a competitive salary based on skills and experience.
Each Field Monitor will be assigned a cohort of YMCA sponsored meal sites in Greater Boston and is responsible for overseeing the smooth operations of those sites, including: training program staff in state-mandated food service protocol, conducting regular site reviews to ensure adherence to those standards, and serving as the first point of contact for site staff on meal ordering, restocking supplies, and general questions. In addition to the on-site portion of this position, each Field Monitor will be responsible for data management: collecting, reviewing, and inputting meal count and attendance forms for each site, as well as following up with sites to ensure full completion of paperwork.
Administration & Management:
· With the support of the Nutrition Programs Coordinator, is responsible for training site staff in meal service regulations.
· Plan, schedule, and implement structured monitoring visits to ensure compliance to state and federal accountability standards.
· Facilitate paperwork collection and accountability from all sites.
· Serve as a resource for program staff on general meal service operations questions and as a liaison between program staff and our meal vendor.
· Perform other duties as requested by YMCA supervisor.
Leadership & Communication:
· Maintain open, effective communication and interaction among the programs and partners; engagement of parents/families.
· Develop and instill positive program culture among staff, students, families, and larger community.
· Promote programming with a focus on healthy living, social responsibility, and youth development.
· Develop and maintain strong relationships with sites by professionally representing the YMCA.
· Must be motivated, energetic, punctual, responsible, and exhibit a positive attitude to be an excellent role model for children and staff.
· Ability to lead, teach/train, and interact with parents, staff, children, and the community, and work in a team with other Monitors to accomplish these goals.
· Some experience with food safety and sanitation preferred.
· Knowledge of and ability to facilitate all accounting and required paperwork.
· Prior experience working with youth and community members of diverse backgrounds.
· Degree or degree-seeking in public health, community nutrition, or related field.
· Demonstrated interest in food justice and anti-hunger work strongly preferred.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle to travel to all program sites.