Boston University ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, ALUMNI NETWORKS, Development and Alumni Relations, Alumni Engagement in BOSTON, Massachusetts
We in Boston University Development & Alumni Relations (DAR) harness the power of philanthropy to make an excellent education accessible and welcoming to all, and to advance BU’s global leadership in research, scholarship, artistic creation, and professional practice. To support our work, we have built—and are continuing to build—an outstanding team of dynamic, mission-driven advancement professionals who constantly strive to create an environment where everyone belongs. Where it’s not just about a job, but a career and a community.
Now, our Alumni Relations team is looking for an Associate Director who will recruit, train, and lead alumni network volunteers and ensure the success of all assigned networks as a key element of the BU Alumni Association’s global network.
Alumni Relations at Boston University
Alumni Relations at Boston University is responsible for connecting with, engaging, and helping foster lifetime connections with the 350,000+ Boston University Alumni across the globe. Alumni Relations is the first point of contact for alums looking to reconnect or engage with their alma mater through educational programs, special events, Alumni Weekend, Global Days of Service, Career and Business networking, volunteer opportunities, and Affinity Networks.
As Boston University continues to place an emphasis on developing enhanced programming that engages a broad spectrum of our alumni, it is critical that we expand upon how our alumni connect with their alma mater. As a member of the Alumni Engagement team, the Associate Director, Alumni Networks, is responsible for managing BU alumni volunteers across our primary regions, affinities, schools, and other key volunteer activities.
Engagement will include working with alumni volunteers, and creating and managing alumni networks. It will be the responsibility of the Associate Director to foster and strengthen the ties between alumni and the University by developing, organizing, managing, and directing regional alumni programming including general alumni, affinity and college and school programming for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
· Initiate and maintain regular correspondence with alumni volunteer leaders, affinity steering groups, donors/prospects, and volunteers. Actively recruit and train alumni volunteers for regional positions. Actively steward relationships with volunteers to maintain, build and strengthen alumni engagement.
· Oversee and lead network leaders in planning a strategic, BU-focused calendar of events and programs to engage a broad range of alumni. Provides network leaders with progress towards their annual goals. Attends network programs and meetings as necessary in order to promote positive communication and volunteer support.
· Engage alumni, increase their connection to each other and to the University by organizing, managing, and directing regional alumni programming, events, activities, communications, and special projects to further the goals of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
· Collaborate with school and college development officers, regional leadership gifts officers, global leadership team, and annual fund colleagues to identify, coordinate, and execute programming and outreach with the objective of increasing alumni participation, engagement, and communication within a particular school or college community.
· Manage and coordinate e-mail communication, newsletters, website content, social media marketing for networks and assigned school and college-based programs and events.
· Assists with the planning and coordination of the annual Network Leader Planning Retreat and ensures assigned network leaders have representation from each network. Makes recommendations for annual updates to the network leader handbook to ensure BU policies and network responsibilities are clearly communicated to volunteers. Additionally, encourages network participation in Alumni Weekend, Global Days of Service, and other BU annual events.
A cover letter is required for consideration
· Bachelor’s degree
· 5-8 years of relevant experience
· Demonstrated experience in database management, providing outstanding customer service, and timely communications.
· Excellent time management and the ability to prioritize multiple competing priorities.
· Demonstrated experience in volunteer management and event planning.
· Exemplary communications skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to deal effectively and professionally with a variety of persons at all levels of management within and external to a university environment.
· Demonstrated computer competency and knowledgeable of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and social media outlets.
· High standards of professional, responsible, accountable, and ethical conduct.
· People management skills.
· Critical thinker with strong judgement in prioritizing problems and developing solutions.
But that’s not all we’re looking for; we want someone who embodies our values:
· Teamwork, transparency, and mutual respect , because we value every member’s contributions and know that leadership can come from anywhere.
· Diversity, equity, inclusion , and a commitment to ensuring that each of us knows we belong here.
· Integrity in how we work and how we treat one another.
· Strategic thinking and curiosity in the relentless pursuit of fresh approaches and measurable results.
· Continuous growth and improvement , both as individuals and as a team.
· Joy and shared appreciation for working hard toward goals that matter.
If this resonates with you and you want to help us in our ambitious next campaign—and maybe do some of your best work as an advancement professional— we encourage you to apply. If you are hesitant to apply because you have not previously performed every responsibility listed in the description, but you do possess transferable skills and the defined qualifications, we still want to hear from you and welcome your application as well.
To learn more about Development & Alumni Relations at Boston University, and other job opportunities, please stop by the DAR Talent website: https://www.bu.edu/dar-talent/ .
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, natural or protective hairstyle, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor .