Cabot Corporation Sr. R&D Engineer- Hybrid in Billerica, Massachusetts
Cabot has a challenging and interesting position for a Senior R&D Engineer at our Billerica, Massachusetts technical center. Our products include carbon black for rubber applications including tires and specialty products. Carbon black production is a complex combustion process with many opportunities for innovative technology development to improve production efficiency, increase sustainability, and develop new products. In this position, you will lead the development of new carbon black process technologies to improve the yield, cost, and sustainability of carbon black production. You will work with our world class team of scientists and engineers to test and develop new concepts at our carbon black pilot plant, then partner with multidisciplinary and global teams to bring successful concepts to the full industrial scale at our manufacturing plants. This is a great opportunity to love your work and advance on our technical or management career ladder. We invite you to join our team.
We are working on projects to improve product yield, utilize sustainable raw materials, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. All are essential to meeting our near-term financial and sustainability goals, as well as our longer-term mission to achieve net zero emissions by 2050. These are significant challenges, and you will be an integral part of Cabot’s technology development team. As you gain experience, you will pick up increasing responsibilities for technology project management and have the potential to lead a team. Specific responsibilities of his role will include:
• Developing hypotheses and technical approaches to problems.
• Developing project objectives and concrete project plans, then reviewing with management and other stakeholders.
• Conducting experiments and investigations around the carbon black process, advancing our understanding of the link between raw material properties, process conditions, and material properties.
• Conducting statistical analysis and interpretation of data to develop models.
• Preparing reports and presentations that document work, results, and conclusions. Presenting work to management, broad technical groups, and/or business partners.
• Partnering with the manufacturing organization to scale-up from the pilot plant and demonstrate new technology concepts at commercial-scale.
• Contributing to a strong culture of safety at Cabot by complying with SH&E procedures, standards and regulations, participating in process hazard analysis, and constantly striving for excellence in process safety.
• Identifying opportunities to capture intellectual property and supporting the preparation of patent applications.
• Planning and leading moderate to complex projects, potentially including the oversight of other engineers or scientists.
• Ideal candidates will have advanced knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts and principles in chemical, mechanical, or a related field of engineering.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and generally 10+ years of related experience, OR Master’s degree in a related technical discipline and generally 6+ years of related experience, OR Ph.D. degree in a related technical discipline and generally 2+ years of related experience.
• Experience with process development and design in an industrial setting. Experience with manufacturing and transition of new technologies to the commercial scale is desirable.
• Background in the areas of combustion/gasification, gas processes, aerosol processes, and/or particle processing and handling is a nice-to-have.
• Technical problem-solving skill. Strong capabilities in experimental design, modeling, data management, and analysis. Ability to see and extract key results to guide the technical direction.
• Experience with project management and oversight of other engineers in either a project or direct reporting relationship is beneficial.
How We’ll Support Your Success:
• Dynamic, Flexible, Hard Working, Team Environment – We are busy, collaborative, growing, and we are doing meaningful work.
• Growth –Training, great peer coaching and support, and the ability to personally grow your influence, your position, and your compensation.
• Meaningful Work that is Valued – Customers are demanding sustainable solutions without compromising quality or performance. The work we do is visible, and is helping to create a more abundant, affordable, and cleaner future. It is an awesome feeling to know you’re making a living by making a positive impact in the world; and to be able to say, “I was a part of that.”
• Benefits, Vacation, Etc. – We offer a competitive package of benefits.
• Feedback – We are committed to giving and receiving feedback in a direct and open fashion.
• Support – You are part of a team and deserve to feel encouraged and supported. We have a global team of engineers that are willing to help. You will be part of a team that cares about you personally and professionally. Our success depends on your success.
Requisition ID: 2022-11486
External Company Name: Cabot Corporation
External Company URL: www.cabot-corp.com