Heywood Hospital Patient Registrar, Patient Registration, 16 Hours, Eve/Night Shift in Athol, Massachusetts
- High School Graduate
- Excellent typing skills with strong degree of accuracy.
- Excellent customer relations skills: pleasant, cheerful demeanor.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Strong computer knowledge and skills.
Minimum Work Experience
- Two (2) or more years of previous similar hospital experience.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
Physical Requirements: Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
Behavioral Attributes: The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Demonstrates knowledge of hospital and department policies, procedures and operations including Switchboard, Registration and ER by providing accurate answers to patients questions
- Job performance reflects compliance with Athol's performance standards, providing directions, first impressions, demonstrates knowledge of proper business telephone etiquette when receiving and transferring calls to the correct extension & assisting callers in a calm, professional and timely manner
- When assigned to cover the switchboard operations, performs all job duties assigned to this position at switchboard or in the ER, monitors the hospital's emergency code and alarm systems to ensure they are responded to immediately and hospital/community personnel respond to the specific code or alarm; In the event of a fire or disaster, initiates the hospital's plans as documented and instructed
- Accepts, processes and documents co-pays and payments received from patients in an accurate and timely fashion including cash, checks and credit card payments
- Runs census to identify patient locations when visitors or medical staff ask following HIPAA regulations and privacy requests from patients
- Completes routine or special assignments in a timely manner, contacts the manager to secure additional work duties to ensure self is productive during work shift and always putting patients first
- Maintains a work station in a clean orderly fashion so that relief staff can easily locate and use resource materials while performing duties
- Responsible for ensuring the hospital's policies and procedures relating to registration are followed
- Initiates the Patient Registration process by conducting a thorough interview to obtain patient demographics, insurance information and contacting the Financial Counselor for all selfpay patients
- Coordinates calling and paging as directed, including ambulances and life flight, as quickly as possible following the hospital's protocol
- Immediately notifies supervisor of any backlogs or obstacles that prevent completion of assigned duties
- Collaborates with the patient care staff to determine bed assignments so the Emergency Department and physicians are notified of bed availability and charts are printed to the floor as soon as possible
- Provides the patient care staff with patient's chart, places wristband on patient, obtains signatures from the patient or the patient's representative to ensure the appropriate signatures are on file in Medical Records
- Contributes to the design, development and maintenance of systems that help the department run efficiently
- Assists Manager as directed, in the training of new employees regarding patient registration and Switchboard processes in an accurate and complete manner
- When assigned to cover ER Registration, performs all job duties assigned to this position including bedside registration, secretarial responsibilities, greeting patients, assisting them by finding a nurse and collection of copays
- Retrieve/instruct how to retrieve old Medical Records for doctors, nurses, social services, and other facilities especially after 3pm weekdays, weekends & holidays
- Completing the full admission, transfer and discharge of patients from the ER including phone calls, paperwork, and Meditech; correctly spelling all information especially the diagnosis
- Reflects a positive attitude in daily work. Is receptive, cooperative, committed and optimistic
- Maintains a working knowledge of Admitting, Outpatient, Switchboard and ED Registration computer down-time procedures
- Immediately removes or arranges the removal of safety hazards from the environment
Statement of Other Duties:This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Athol Hospital
Department: AMH PATIENT REGIS.,2001.66550
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 2001.66550.8255
Position Hours: 16
Weekend Frequency: Every other
Holiday Rotation: Every other
Job Title: Patient Registrar, Patient Registration, 16 Hours, Eve/Night Shift
Location: Athol, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 03/25/2021