Heywood Hospital CCT/Unit Secretary, Emergency Department, 24 Hours, Night Shift in Athol, Massachusetts
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- One or more of the following: Nursing student who has completed first fundamentals course and 75 hours of clinical, successful completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program, successful completion of a Certified Medical Assistant program or successful completion of an Emergency Medical Technician program
Minimum Work Experience
- Emergency Department, Intensive Care Unit or Medical/surgical clinical experience strongly preferred
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Current AHA BCLS healthcare provider required
- Knowledge of principles of patient hygiene, comfort and safety measures.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to write clearly.
Physical Requirements: Exerts 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently kneels (bending the legs at knee to come to rest on knee or knees), reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and feels (perceiving attributes of items as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of fingertips). Occasionally crouches (bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine), and stoops (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist).
Behavioral Attributes: The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Works together with departmental and healthcare teams to complete assignments.
- Removes or arranges for removal of safety hazards from environment immediately to prevent potential safety hazards from occurring.
- Prioritizes and reprioritizes work based on the changing needs of the customers.
- Assists patient, physician and nurse during procedures, assisting during procedure as needed.
- Assists in the admission and discharge of patients to expedite care.
- Assists in the collection, labeling and delivery of routine specimens.
- Assists with the transfer of patients to and from other departments utilizing appropriate technique (i.e. body mechanics, transfer mattress).
- Observes, reports and records vital signs and intake and output as directed by the registered nurse and in accordance with Patient Care Service’s Standards.
- Performs EKG’s, according to standard policies and procedures.
- Performs Glucometer testing according to standard policies and procedures on patients 15 years or older. (This is dependent on completed competency).
- Performs blood draws according to standard policies and procedures on patients 15 years or older. (This is dependent on completed competency).
- Places patients on cardiac monitors and obtains trends, as indicated.
- Recognizes and reports appropriate patient data to the Nurse.
- Monitors stock and re-stocks supplies as needed.
- Participates in continuing education, departmental staff meetings and in-services and performs department specific competencies.
- Provides clerical support to clinical staff (e.g. maintains unit files, organizes patient care record, prepares admission and pre-op charts, etc).
- Coordinates patient testing by calling ancillary departments upon request.
- Under direction of nurse, makes all appropriate arrangements for outside services, transfers, and ambulance services in a timely manner.
- Appropriately prioritizes tasks adjusting to changing workload as necessary (e.g. seeks assistance as needed from appropriate resources, recognizes emergency situations, etc.).
- Maintains clean and safe work environment (identifies and/or removes safety hazards).
- Performs support functions to manager/director such as copying, typing, etc.
- Participates in the learning for colleagues and self (e.g. assist with orientation of new staff in-services, educational programs, etc.).
- Inventories and stocks all supplies to ensure rooms are ready for patient care treatment.
- Facilitates communication between the nursing unit and other departments so that everyone involved has current and accurate information as to patient's care.
- Answers the telephone and communicates information to parties involved to avoid delays in patient care.
- Facilitates transfers and discharges through retrieving and copying medical records and sending and receiving faxes as needed.
- Assists with facilitating room turnover to reduce the wait time of admissions.
Statement of Other Duties:This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Athol Hospital
Department: AMH EMERGENCY ROOM-,2001.60100
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 2001.60100.2225
Position Hours: 24
Weekend Frequency: every other weekend
Holiday Rotation: every other holiday
Job Title: CCT/Unit Secretary, Emergency Department, 24 Hours, Night Shift
Location: Athol, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 04/09/2021